Though mold may only take up a small space, it can cause big problems inside of your home if allowed to continue growing. Large clusters of mold can degrade drywall and other materials, leading to structural damage within your home. And there are health implications as well. Some types of mold may induce little more than an allergic response, while other types of mold can cause chronic illness.
Mold is capable of thriving anywhere, so long as moisture is present. It’s not uncommon to find mold in bathrooms, kitchens and basements, along with anywhere a leak may have sprung. Luckily, mold can often be cleaned and/or removed, especially if found early. Even if it’s growing inside the walls, you may smell a musty scent. Or perhaps you notice a watermark on the ceiling and mold may be present near the leak. Either way, the best thing to do is consult professionals to safely remove the threat.
There are a few measures you can take to minimize the risk of mold growth in your home. Try the following tips.
- Wipe up spills promptly before the liquid has a chance to seep into carpeting, walls and other areas of your home.
- Clean out your home’s gutters at least twice per year to promote normal water flow that sweeps rainfall away from your home. A buildup of debris can lead to pooling and water damage.
- Turn on the dehumidifier in the bathroom while you shower to remove some of the moisture in the air.
- Avoid installing carpeting in rooms that are prone to dampness, such as bathrooms and basements.
- Turn on the exhaust fan in the kitchen while cooking, especially on the stovetop.
- Wipe down the inside of your washing machine after use, particularly front-loading models with a rubber gasket around the door.
- If you notice a leak, have it repaired immediately and dry the area thoroughly.
Make sure you understand the coverage details listed in your home insurance policy. Some standard policies do not include mold coverage, but it can be added on as an endorsement for more protection. Your agent can help you review your policy and ensure you have the coverage you need.
We’ve got your back.
Here When You Need Us
Budget Insurance Agency
Don’t hesitate to get a home insurance quote on a personalized budget insurance policy in Georgia right now! Contact us at 855-218-6308 or request an online quote right now!