Many of today's largest trucking companies struggle to find affordable trucking insurance policies because they have a large organization, or drivers that are inexperienced. But you can find affordable insurance plans for your trucking business if you know where to look and how to help reduce the risks associated with your drivers. In short, if you want to save on trucking insurance, start with improving your drivers' skills.
How Drivers Impact Insurance Rates
Your truck drivers are a big component of how much you'll pay for trucking insurance. Those organizations with drivers who have clean driving records and have experience in the industry are likely to pay less than those with drivers who have several strikes against them. As a business owner, you'll want to work on ensuring you have skilled drivers. This not only protects your employees and property, but could also help you to save money on your insurance needs.
How to Keep Drivers Safe
The question then becomes, how can a business owner reduce insurance risk by improving driver skill? There are plenty of specific steps you can take to improve driver skill, some of which include:
- Encourage drivers to maintain their education by requiring additional training and defensive driving courses throughout their employment with you.
- Sponsor educational seminars or training programs within your company that teach drivers how to avoid accidents and driving mistakes.
- Ensure your drivers have ample rest in between routes. One of the most common reasons for tickets is fatigue. Help ensure that your drivers are attentive and focused on the road.
- Encourage discussion about risks. It's a good idea to ask drivers what steps you can take to improve their ability to avoid tickets, and then you can implement some of their suggestions.
- Hire only drivers with a clean driving history.
Trucking insurance is a large investment for most companies, but the right drivers with the right skill can help minimize your costs while also boosting road safety. It pays off in the long run to incorporate more elaborate training methods and to improve overall focus while on the road. Work with your insurance agent to learn of additional ways to help reduce costs further.
Keep your fleet safe.
Budget Insurance Agency, Inc.
Here When You Need Us
Don’t hesitate to get a trucking insurance quote on a personalized Budget Trucking Insurance Quote right now! Contact us at 855-218-6308 or request an online quote right now!
What else has your business done to save on trucking insurance? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.