Fire is one of the biggest risks to homes today. Fires can occur for various reasons. Your home's major systems, such as your heating and cooling systems, your appliances and even a simple candle that is left burning can set your home on fire. Unfortunately, many times these fires can become very large and spread very quickly. You may not have time to react fast enough. But fire alarms can save lives. If you do not have any installed around your home or want to be sure you have enough, consider placement.
Every home should have ample fire alarms. Ultimately, the goal is to be able to hear the alarm going off no matter where you are. And since many fires occur at night, it is important that the alarm is loud enough that you can hear it in your bedroom and it wakes you up so that you can get out. Each type of alarm is very different in terms of the sound it can create. However, these tips can help you to pinpoint the ideal locations.
- Ensure an alarm is located in the bedroom hallway, in an area where it can be heard by all people. If your hallway is long, install more than one.
- Place a fire alarm in the stairwells of your home. Smoke rises, triggering the alarm.
- Place fire alarms in your garage, one of the most common areas for fires to start. Ensure these are also located close enough to your home's interior door so that you can hear them.
- Install a fire alarm near or in your kitchen.
- Install a fire alarm near your hot water heater as well as near any major heating and cooling appliances.
Placing them throughout your home is important. Keep in mind that you should purchase more than just a simple alarm. Those that can read carbon monoxide, smoke and heat from fires are essential. You may wish to choose one that can also alert the fire department if you do not turn it off within a few minutes. These can add an additional level of protection to you and help reduce the home insurance claims for fire-related damage.
Your safety is our priority.
Here When You Need Us
Budget Insurance Agency
Don’t hesitate to get a home insurance quote on a personalized budget insurance policy in Macon, Georgia right now! Contact us at 855-218-6308 or request an online quote right now!
Do you have fire alarms at home? What are your tips on fire prevention? Share your thoughts in the comments!