Memphis TN Auto, Home & Business Insurance
Home of the Blues & Birthplace of Rock 'n' Roll
Memphis is a city on the Mississippi River in southwest Tennessee, famous for the influential strains of blues, soul and rock 'n' roll that originated there. Elvis Presley, B.B. King and Johnny Cash recorded albums at the legendary Sun Studio, and Presley’s Graceland mansion is a popular attraction. Other music landmarks include the Rock 'n' Soul Museum, Blues Hall of Fame and Stax Museum of American Soul Music.
MEMPHIS FUN FACTS
According to Memphis Travel, here are 5 out of many fun facts about Memphis TN
- Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll, made Memphis his home after his family moved to the city from Tupelo, Mississippi in 1948.
- Memphis was founded in 1819 by John Overton, Andrew Jackson and James Winchester. Prior to its official founding, the Bluffs of Memphis were occupied by a succession of Native Americans, traders and forts. It is situated on the edge of the widest part of the Mississippi River.
- The name Memphis means Established and Beautiful.
- Known worldwide as the "Home of the Blues & Birthplace of Rock 'n' Roll - not to mention gospel, jazz, R&B, rap and soul. Close to 20 percent of the earliest inductees (24 of the 97) in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame have come from within a 100-mile radius of Memphis.
- Dream Destinations: 100 of the World's Best Vacations by Life Books ranks Memphis amongst the likes of The Vatican, Montezuma, Costa Rica, and Beijing, China.