Cars are stolen all the time, every day in America. Don’t assume this is something that won’t happen – be active in making sure your car is protected and you don’t become another victim.
To make sure you keep your car as safe and secure as possible, here are 10 tips to get you started:
- Don’t leave your car unattended while it’s unlocked or running.
- Even in the summer or warm weather, keep your windows rolled up.
- Do the best that you can to make sure you don’t leave valuables in your car. If you must, keep them out of site and put them in either the glove box or center console.
- When parking at night, keep to well-lit areas. Avoid dark areas with less foot traffic.
- Most thieves attempt to sell car parts after stealing a car. To help prevent that, etch your Vehicle Identification Number into your windows to help ward off potential criminals.
- This might seem obvious, but don’t ever mark your name and address on your keys. This can prevent home theft.
- If you have a spare key, try to avoid leaving it under or around your car. It’s better to be locked out of your car than have it stolen.
- Don’t have an alarm system? Install one. Have one? Make sure it’s working properly and identify it on your car that it has an alarm system.
- Install a fuel cutoff or smart key to prevent theft from hot-wiring.
- Have a GPS tracking system installed so if your car is stolen, authorities can help you track it down.
Unfortunately no matter how much precaution you take, accidents can happen. If anything ever happens to your car, whether it’s stolen or broken into, contact the police immediately and then call your insurance provider.
If something does happen, make sure you’re protected afterward. That’s where we can come in. Call Budget Insurance Agency at (478) 788-9188 for more information on Atlanta auto insurance.